- Opole County
- Nature of the County
- Environment - landscape complex of Lipno
Environment - landscape complex of Lipno
Environment – landscape complex of Lipno. Lipno is a dendrology park complex. Its area extends for 4,18 ha. This place is related with the activity of Jon Nepomucen Karol Prascha and his gardener from Württemberg. There are many interesting tree specimens, including exotic ones. The most interesting are; Liquidambar, Rhododendron japonicum, Katsura tree, Rhododendron catawbiense and Mahonia aquifolium. Many specimens were qualified as the oldest in Poland; including American Tulip Tree (nearly 200 years old, 418 cm in its circumference and 30 m high). One of the first trees planted in the complex of Lipno, is probably the monumental Thuja plicata, planted in 1782.
Facilities of the former park and Environment - Landscape Complex:
- Swimming pool – build in 1935, before the Olympic Games held in Berlin. Its main part was build in accordance with the requirements of Olympic size swimming pool.
- Shrine – build in sandstone, endowed by Elizabeth Stolberg – Frederic Praschma's wife. Inside the shrine we can see the statue of Madonna and the Child carved by Silesian sculptor – Robert Bednorz. Shrine and insides was probably designed by the German architect Hans Polzig.
- Niemodlińska Gate – located between forest and swimming pool fence, at the right hand side of the homestead. It is the only remains of five gates complex, this gate leads us to old zoo. Since late 19th century, park grounds were open for the general public only on Sundays and national holidays in the summer time. Niemodlińska Gate – built of red bricks in neo-gothic style was also called the Black Gate.
- Park buildings – the first building is an old summer time inn with the garden, further on we can see the forester's lodge, both buildings are of half-timbered wall construction - so called Prussian wall. Except for the inn and forester's lodge, we can see farm buildings and small wooden cottage.
- Zofia and Hubertus Ponds – Zofia (13 ha) and Hubertus (3 ha) ale joined with trenches. Both ponds and the system of trenches were serving the purpose of watering the plantation. The whole water system has facilitated the establishment of a local micro-climate. That is why we can find here rare species of fauna and flora, like for instance; White tailed eagles, black storks, grebes, swans and wild ducks. If it comes to flora, we may find arrowheads, water lilies, yellow irises and many other. In 19th century, Hubertus Pond has served the purpose of castle's spa, and Zofia (former name – Kurpiec) used to be a fish farm pond.
- Erratic boulder – monument of still nature, remains of glaciation (circumference of 851 cm). We can find it on the route leading to the Shrine called Pustelnia /Hermitage/.
- Hermitage Shrine – also called hermit's shrine. This picturesque wooden shine, is located amongst pines and spruce trees. The shrine has a porch and quadrilateral bell tower with a lantern. Top of the shrine is finished with a tall cross. According to the legend, the shrine was built by French emigrants, who found refuge in Praschm estate, during the French Revolution of 1789. Besides the shrine, there is a grave, where the probable builder of the shrine is buried. In the spring and summer time, this is a place where religious services are held.
- Frederic’s Spring – this is the remains of the oldest – 18th century foundations of Lipno Park Complex. Fredric’s Spring was a well, named after the firstborn son of Karol Fryderyk I (1786 – 1860). This well was to be an indispensable element of the romantic landscape of the Park Complex, just like grave, shrine, grave of a horse - who has saved Frederic's life and a grave of his beloved dog.
- Nature Reserve “Piekiełko" - remains of 18th century Park facilities. “Piekiełko” /Hell/ used to be a system of canals and isles, secret passages that linked places called “Heaven” and “Hell” with the “Elysian Fields” and the place where one could go for a gondola ride. There was also an amphitheatre, Tee Square and Venetian Bridge. Nature reserve is located in the centre of an old park and probably it was the crossroads for old forest tracks, heading towards: Hermitage, Snake Temple, Chinese Pavilion, Colonnade and Lookout Tower. Nowadays, any attempts to localize those places are futile, unfortunately even ruins are not preserved...